Saturday, July 18, 2009

You Go First

You know who made my day today? A little boy - probably 3 or 4. I didn't know him. We were hiking on a narrow trail back from a beautiful waterfall. We were tired from hiking and camping. A little grumpy, maybe. You know how things are camping with little kids - dirty clothes and fingers, crying kids throughout the night, mosquito bites, toddlers almost falling into the fire, dirt-encrusted food, not enough cups or plates or diapers or whatever, and I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy camping, but camping with small children is a little stressful for me. I guess I just worry too much or something.

Anyway, as we came to a point where this little boy and his dad were hiking toward us I heard the little boy say to his Dad, "wait, Daddy." Then he and his dad moved to the edge of the trail and the boy turned to us, gave us a huge smile and said, "You go first." I couldn't help but smile after that. I'm still smiling about it actually. That kind gesture this boy showed us brightened my day so much. It reminded me once again that kindness really does make a difference. Aren't children so often the best examples of this? I've seen it in my own kids too. So many times when I want things to be "fair" my children remind me that it's better just to be nice. When I find myself trying to take my fair half out of the trail in life I hope I can remember that little boy and step aside for other struggling travelers.

No comments: