Monday, May 24, 2010

Mystery Birds

We spent the morning watching these beautiful birds. I've never seen them before. Does anyone know what kind they might be? There were 4 of the brightly colored ones (we think they were probably males) and 2 of the plain ones (probably females). The boys loved watching them almost as much as me. Especially Curious George. They have been living in the trees in front of our house for a couple of days now. They are so fun to have, I hope they stay! :) Maybe we'll get a nest in one of our trees and have babies!
Here's are pictures of the males:



























I love this one's spikey hair! Yes that is snow! I think our tomatoes and peppers probably died last night :( so sad. Guess we'll probably be replanting this year.

Here's a few pictures of the females:

Curious George noticed that one of the females has a thorn in her feathers. Poor thing. They were eating some of the seeds that fall from the trees in the springtime.

Here's a movie of a couple of them:

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow!! I've never seen those before! It'll be interesting to find out what kind they are.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Some friends told me these are called Western tanagers. I looked them up - if you're interested you can see the info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Tanager

Oh incidentally it sounds like I was correct about the males and females.

Unknown said...

those are some good pictures.