Tuesday, February 3, 2009

C.G.'s Firehouse

I got a great idea from a friend's blog. She keeps her kids entertained by making toys out of things lying around the house - cereal boxes, paper towel and toilet holders, etc. So yesterday when I was trying to come up with something to entertain Curious George I remembered her idea. We decided to make a firehouse for his firemen that he had gotten in his stocking (from the dollar store). It was a blast. I made it out of an old shoe box and some paper towel holders. He loves it and has spent many hours enjoying it - he likes to slide the firemen down the paper towel holders. I got so into it that I even made a firetruck out of a shoe box and some toilet paper holders. The wheels don't spin and it looks kind of tacky, but he doesn't care. The wonderful thing about children is that their imagination fills in the gaps. To them it's as good as the real thing. They don't need expensive toys - the nice thing about these is that it's like you are recycling twice - you make use of something that's been used for something else and then send them to the recycle center when the kids get tired of them. I know we're going to be making a lot more toys like this in the future.

1 comment:

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I love the firetruck! We may just have to steal that design!