Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pheasants!

I love these birds! I have loved watching them ever since we moved into this house almost 5 years ago! My favorite time to watch them is the spring, when the males chase the females. :) When we moved here I didn't know what they were - I had never seen one before. I would wake up to their calls in the early morning -they have a very distinct call that is LOUD! I thought for the longest time that it was Brandon's cell phone! I asked him about it one time and he laughed at me and told me it was the pheasants. Anyway, I've been wanting to get pictures of these beautiful pheasants for a while now. These aren't the best, but you get the idea. I think the movie shows the best.


I realize I am really spoiled to live here where we live with all of the wonderful wildlife. There's a forest of trees right behind our house where the pheasants live. We also live really close to the mountains where the deer like to come down and I have seen flocks of up to a dozen deer right in our backyard. Our backyard is part of their migration path and in the Winter, you can see a path where the deer have trod through the snow almost constantly and it's always in the same place! One time I even saw 2 bucks interlocking antlers over a doe. One of my favorite stories to tell is about the time I saw a flock of wild turkeys in our yard - it happened to be the same day that I had bought my Thanksgiving turkey a couple of years ago. It was really funny. Anyway, I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

No comments: