Friday, March 20, 2009

Becoming Self Reliant

This topic has been on my mind for a while now. I wanted to post this about 3 weeks ago and haven't had the chance. This is a wonderful article by Elder M. Russell Ballard on becoming self-reliant. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from this article:

“To become self-reliant, a person must work. Work is physical, mental, or spiritual effort. It is a basic source of happiness, self-worth, and prosperity. Through work, people accomplish many good things in their lives. …

“As people become self-reliant, they are better prepared to endure adversities” and are “better able to care for others in need.”

He also talks about 5 principles that can help us prepare to become more self-reliant:
  1. Find Answers through the Spirit
  2. Appraise Our Lives and the Needs of Others
  3. Choose between Good and Evil
  4. Think Straight
  5. Seek the Lord’s Guidance
I really feel that this is such an important principle to be reminded about - right now especially with all the economic turmoil that we are experiencing. I'm interested in your feedback. What do you think about this topic?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Heather. I've had this on my mind a lot lately too. I'm sure the Spirit is "speaking" to a lot of people right now. I'm working on everything. I love the article you quoted. It breaks it down and seems to make it easier to handle--it's a tough thing to tackle at times. Thanks.